Miette skirt by Tilly & the Buttons

Hello everyone!

           It is already October! The weather is getting slightly cooler so I have started thinking about my Autumn sewing! I'm SO excited for my upcoming Fall wardrobe projects! I have a lot of plans which I hope to accomplish during the next months.




         Today I would like to share my Miette skirt by Tilly and the buttons (T&TB) . This piece, I think, is the perfect transitional piece! It is a wrap - back flared skirt with a waistband that ties around the waist to a beautiful bow tie at the front. Also, it has optional patch pockets.




REQUIREMENTS

          The pattern requires 2 meters of 1,5 meter width of a medium weight fabric for the size that I made. I chose a medium weight denim fabric from ifasma.eu and I love it! This denim is so beautiful and some of its details remind me of a wool fabric. I bought it from ifasma.eu for 6 euros per meter. The actual price of the fabric was 7 euros. The fabric had a white line running across my piece so the seller reduce the price of it just a little for that reason.


Source



CONSTRUCTION


          I was between sizes so I decided to go for the smaller one. As far as I know, Tilly's patterns have quite a lot of ease so it was an easy choise. Also, the skirt doesn't have any zipper or buttons; it is a wrap around skirt so I thought that this size could be perfect! I made size 3, with the patch pockets.


Hug with my cutie!


           Miette skirt is the perfect pattern for beginners. Like I said, there are no zippers or any fastening for you to install. There are only long lines, the waistband ties and last but not least, you have to make a little opening at the waistband to run through the ties.





           If you decide to make the version with the pockets, you have to pay attention when you sew the front pieces together. The bottom of the pockets has to be layered exactly on each other in order to match. I had to redo this part because I rushed it the first time.

Patch pocket close up at the left front


            One thing to keep in mind is that when you have sewn the waistband ties, pull the right side out gently. I may pulled mine a bit harsh and as a result I ripped off a few stitches which I hand stitched later.






Back view of the skirt


          I hem the skirt by turning the hem 2cm twice.The length of the skirt is still quite long (just bellow the knee) but I love it. I think it looks elegant.


Shoes: Marina sandals from Swedish Hasbeens



FINAL THOUGHTS

         I looove my Miette skirt! It has a beautiful shape and I like the cute bow tie at the front. Choosing a medium weigtht denim fabric for this projects makes the skirt wearable all year round. I would also love make one in a polka dot denim fabric which could be adorable for Spring!


SEWING SUMMARY



Sewing pattern: Miette skirt by Tilly and the buttons
Size: 3
Fabric: 2m of a medium weight denim fabric for 6 euros per meter from ifasma.eu
Notions: None.
Alterations: I hem the skirt by turning the hem 2cm twice instead og 1,5cm the pattern recommends
Total cost: ~12 euros (plus the cost of the pattern which was ~11 euros - I bought the printed version on the sales)
Make another one: Yes! I would love to make another one in polka dot denim fro Spring!







Until next time,

Happy sewing!!


Labels: ,