Erin Skirt from SOI ebook

Hello everyone!


              I made an Erin skirt from SOI ebook CITY BREAK "my capsule wardrobe" by Sew Over It! That was the first pdf pattern I have worked with! Well, it wasn't difficult at all to cut and stuck the pages together. It was a fun process. Usually, I prefer working with printed patterns just because it's quicker, I love the packaging of the printed patterns and I can also keep all of them nicely in my collection. 
Erin skirt by SOI
            
           Do you prefer tracing your pattens? I always trace my patterns whether they are printed or pdf. I dont like cutting them cause I feel like I ruin my precious patterns. What if you change size or you want to make that beloved pattern to a garment for a friend of yours? Or what if you cut the wrong size? Always trace them guys!!



            I was sooo excited about this ebook when it came out! The book is a collection of five beautiful versatile patterns that we all need in our wardrobe! As far as Erin skirt is concerned, it is a beginner pattern which I really enjoyed making it. There is an option for a midi or a mini length version. I chose to make the mini length skirt just because I think it's more suitable for my style. I a;so love the fact that it came with pockets!


CONSTRUCTION

            The pattern does not require a lot of fabric so that was a plus! The pattern requires about 1.1 - 1.2 meters of 1.50m width of fabric (or 1.4m for 1.15m width of fabric) for the mini version. I made straight size 14 and it fits perfectly without any alterations. I use a stretch light to medium weight denim in grey color. The fabric was bought from a fabric store in Athens which sells fabrics in really low prices (1-3€/meter something like that - perfect prices for wearable muslins right?) with a pant pattern in mind I purchased this. However, I'm not a fun of this perticular fabric cause it stretches out a bit. That way, I interfaced not only the button band but also the waistband in order to be stiffer.

  
Me wearing Erin skirt by SOI
        
      When I reached the phase which the two front pieces should be sewn together with the back piece, I realized that I've made two right (not left) pieces. The mistake was that I cut one pair of front pieces as the pattern requires but I interfaced them the same way both. The mistake was totally mine. The thing is that at the fabric I used you cannot tell the differance between the wrong or the right side - they only have a slight differance. So I had to rip off the beautiful pocket I had just sewn, then I cut a new left front piece and I sew this sight again (Pfff..). In addition, as much as I would like to have a serger, I don't have (yet!haha!) which means that I finished all the inside seams with a zic zac stitch.  Finally, I hem the skirt by turning the hem by 0.5cm and then 1cm and stitch.


           As far as the closure of the skirt is conearned, I used muted silver buttons which were purchased locally. I didn't have any problems putting those buttonholes. However, I had to test one or two buttonholes on a scrap of fabric in order to check the position and also to remember how to put them! I don't put bttonholes that often! Don't forget testing buttonhles on a scrap of the fabric you are using. In this case I tested mine on an intarfaced piece of the main fabric that I used.





FINAL THOUGHTS

        Although it's a quick project, I'm not sure how long did I take to make it. It didn't take much time though. I prefer not to time my sewing. Because of my little one I sew with a lot of breaks!

          I definitely see more Erin skirts to come! I would love to make another Erin using navy denim fabric or corduroy. Have you made an Erin skirt? If you haven't try making the Erin Skirt, go ahead and sew one or two! You will really enjoy making her!


                                                                                     


                                                                                             xoxo,

Labels: , , , , , , ,